Mark M. Miller
I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks.
- Daniel Boone
Professor of Geography
Dept. of Geography & Geology: follow us on Twitter @geousm and Facebook
University of Southern Miss
Video: how I became a geographer
Interested in the Peace Corps?
(Peace Corps Volunteer, Belize 1979-1981)
Gratuitous advice for students
What can you do with a Southern Miss Geography degree?
Economic development video project
- Education: Ph.D., Geography & Regional Development, University of Arizona, Master of International Management, Thunderbird: The American Graduate School of International Management (Glendale, Arizona), Bachelor of Science, Agronomy, University of Maryland
Professional position: Professor of Geography, The University of Southern Mississippi (Hattiesburg)
- Research interests: Economic development, especially low-income regions of the U.S. South, Economic development in the Caribbean, especially Cuba and the region's tourism industry
- Professional experience abroad (partial list): Belize: Peace Corps volunteer, 1979-1981, Guatemala: development and relief administrator, Catholic Relief Services, 1983-1984, • Mexico: researcher, 1985-1988, Jamaica: professor and director of study-abroad programs, 1990-2002, Cuba: researcher plus professor and director of study-abroad programs, 1993-2003
- Other countries in which I’ve worked & traveled: United Kingdom, Canada, Spain, France, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Dominican Republic, Argentina, Chile, Peru, Hong Kong, Singapore, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica
Hiking the Benton MacKaye Trail in Georgia, with Nola of the Wilderness, June 2014.
- Personal data: age 57, living in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, married to Amy Miller, Ph.D. Personal interests: hiking, camping, biking; travel to mountains, beaches, and interesting cities (mostly around the Southern U.S. these days); reading & music; Zen meditation & yoga; attend Ekklesia church; keeping up with three children; elementary school PTA Board
Where I've been going lately:
Cataloochee Valley, Great Smoky Mountains National Park (June 2015)
The Silver Comet Trail (July 2014)
The Benton MacKaye Trail (June 2014)
Grand Canyon (June 2013)
Great Smoky Mountain National Park (2012)
Magnolia Grove Village & Monastery (2011)
Chattahoochee National Forest, Georgia (2011)
Nunavut, Canada (2010)
The rest of the world
What I'm listening to lately:
WWOZ (New Orleans)
WUSM (American roots music)
VP Records radio stream (Reggae)
Naxos Web Radio (classical)
Library of Congress National Jukebox (odd old stuff)
Books I'm reading lately
Michael Blanding. 2014. The Map Thief: The Gripping Story of an Esteemed Rare-Map Dealer Who Made Millions Stealing Priceless Maps. Gotham.
Phillip Barker. Stealing the maps worth millions: Introducing The Map Thief. August 4, 2014: hhttp://360.here.com/2014/08/04/map-thief-michael-blanding-interview/
Krist, Gary. 2014. Empire of Sin: A Story of Sex, Jazz, Murder, and the Battle for Modern New Orleans. Crown.
Kevin Allman. ‘Empire of Sin’ lurid, scholarly, thoroughly entertaining. Concord Monitor. November 9, 2014: http://www.concordmonitor.com/doseetaste/14115292-95/empire-of-sin-lurid-scholarly-thoroughly-entertaining
|Bill Finch, et al. 2012. Longleaf, Far as the Eye Can See: A New Vision of North America's Richest Forest. University of North Carolina Press.
USDA Forest Service Southern Research Station. Longleaf Pine Silviculture. Retrieved May 28, 2014: http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/longleaf/subunit/silviculture.html
|Adam Johnson. 2012. The Orphan Master's Son: A Novel. Random House. (Novel set in North Korea)
|Dan Harris. 2014. 10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works--A True Story. Dey Street.
Page 6. ABC News’ Dan Harris admits past drug abuse. February 12, 2014: http://pagesix.com/2014/02/12/abc-news-dan-harris-admits-past-drug-abuse/
Phil Klay. 2014. Redeployment. Penguin.
Jennifer Day. 2014. Review of Redeployment. Chicago Tribune. May 7: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-03-07/features/chi-redeployment-phil-klay-20140307_1_war-story-printers-row-journal-redeployment
|Roberto Ampuero. 2012. El Caso Neruda. Debolsillo. (en Español)
|Katherine Boo. 2012. Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity. Random House.
Isaac Chotiner. 2012. Poverty as destiny. New Republic.February 8: http://www.newrepublic.com/article/books-and-arts/magazine/100563/katherine-boo-mumbai-undercity-india
|Shunryu Suzuki and David Chadwick. 2011. Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind. Shambhala.
Radio Silencer. 2012. Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind. May 14: https://radiosilencer.wordpress.com/2012/05/14/zen-mind-beginners-mind/
Research Journals -- not quite as much fun :-)