Geographic is printed by the Ringier-America company in
3. The world's only cactus plantation is located in Edwards with more than 3,000 varieties of cacti.
Bookbinding Company in
Tichenor created Dr. Tichenor's Antiseptic in
cities in the world have been sanctioned by the International Theatre/Dance
Committee to host the International Ballet Competition:
first football player on a Wheaties box was Walter Payton of
Teddy Bear's name originated after a bear hunt in
T. Merrill of Iuka flew the first round-trip transoceanic flight in 1928. The
birthplace of Elvis in
world's oldest Holiday Inn is in
Flyer, Inc., in
and Kelly Mitchell, the King and Queen of Gypsies, are buried in
4-H Club began in
Waterways Experiment Station in
were first sold as pairs in 1884 at Phil Gilbert's Shoe Parlor in
James D. Byrd of
commercial airliner has at least one hydraulic component manufactured by
26. Hatmaker John B. Stetson learned and practiced hatmaking in Dunn's Falls, MS.
oldest field game in
29. The International Checkers Hall of Fame is in Petal.
Issac Ross of Lorman freed his slaves in 1834 and arranged for their passage to
the west coast of
32. Oliver Pollock was the largest individual financial contributor to the American Revolution. He invented the dollar sign ($). He is buried near Pinckneyville.
33. Resin Bowie, the inventor of the Bowie Knife, is buried in Port Gibson, MS
Pass Christian Yacht Club is the second oldest yacht club in
36. The Mississippi Legislature passed one of the first laws in 1839 to protect the property rights of married women.
Mississippi Delta is the birthplace of the Blues, music truly original to
40. D'Lo was featured in Life Magazine for sending proportionally more men to serve in World War II than any other town of its size; 38 percent of the men who lived in D'Lo served.
1894, Coca-Cola was first bottled by Joseph A. Biedenharn in
is the Catfish Capital of the World. Approximately 70 percent of the nation's
farm-raised catfish comes from
44. The company that makes Icee drinks is owned by Fred Montalvo from Edwards.
46. Proportionally more Mississippians were killed during the Civil War than from any other Confederate state.
47. Serving during Reconstruction, Hiram Revels was the first Black U.S. Senator.
first Parents-Teachers Association was founded in
Ruth's last home run was hit off a Mississippian, Guy Bush of